Late to the party, but this is awesome! The soundtrack is excellent and doesn’t get repetitive or tiring easily, and the sprite art is gorgeous, the parallax effects really made the spaces feel bigger.
I think the combat is pretty good so far! The mechanics of the gigasword feel good, and the dodge is suitably slow to allow the player to get punished for mistakes. Though I’m a Dark Souls fan so I’m probably used to what other people call clunky, I feel like it’s appropriate considering that the sword is so huge, it’s not like it’s easy to push that much mass around and especially not to interrupt its momentum.
I particularly had fun with the air plunge attack, using it to lengthen my jumps and get around shots, but I feel like it is perhaps a little too powerful. It seems like it’s totally invincible on landing. Maybe just knocking enemies away and giving them a short stun on a successful hit, and having less invincibility would be good? That way you could get hit by other nearby enemies if you aimed the attack wrong.
I do feel the slow movement makes the puzzles take a long time. Maybe that could be sped up by having a “sprint” mode where if you’ve been running around and not attacking for a bit, you’ll put the sword on your back and get faster?
I found a few movement glitches that I think haven’t been mentioned yet:
- If you put the sword into a drop-through platform, then pick it up and immediately try to jump through the platform, you zip downwards to the nearest floor instantly.
- If you aren’t carrying the sword and you jump off of a ladder near a ledge you can climb, sometimes you’ll attempt to grab the ledge and the ladder at the same time, which makes you jitter around in weird directions.
- If you repeatedly try to stab the sword into something that you can’t stab (like a block), it sometimes doesn’t play the “bounce off” sound effect more than once.
- You can grab the sword from a surface one tile higher than the sword
- You can soft-lock yourself by rolling and grabbing the sword at the same time, you get stuck in the rolling animation and can’t come out.